SUMERNET 4 All is a knowledge-based policy research programme. The programme wants to support research projects that focus on reducing water insecurity for all in particular for the poor, marginalized and socially vulnerable groups of women and men in the Mekong Region. Within this focus are three themes:
- water access, rights and allocation in times of water insecurity
- governance and management of water-related disaster risks
- transboundary interactions with water systems
For more details on SUMERNET, please see this link.
To ensure SUMERNET delivers the greatest impact, we are looking for an adviser to steer and guide the Integrated Regional Assessment.
The Groundwater Integrated Regional Assessment (GIRA) is the largest research grant under SUMERNET 4 All. The grant will be regional in nature, covering the Mekong Region countries and lasts between 2 and 2.5 years, with a value at not more than 2.0 million SEK (about 215,000 USD). The grantee will lead the Mekong regional study including five small case studies across Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam (ideally). The GIRA will deliver both locally relevant insights and regionally relevant management options addressing the question ‘how can we sustainably use and manage groundwater resources while reducing water insecurity for all, especially the vulnerable groups of people, in the Mekong Region?’
Deadline: Review of applications will begin on 21st June 2019, and continue until the position is filled
The Advisers will help provide credible and reliable support for GIRA team and its partners in conducting integrated regional assessment and policy engagement. The SUMERNET Advisers are high‐profile academics, experts, policymakers, NGO and donor representatives who provide strategic advice on the development of research for policy and practice, communications and policy engagement. They are drawn from some of the best minds, skills and competencies found in the Mekong Region.
SUMERNET 4 All is calling for many advisers, mostly thematic (i.e. Gender equality and social equity; Human rights-based approaches; Conflict sensitivity; Integrated regional assessment; Decision support system, modelling, tools and analysis; and, Water insecurity). This adviser call is not thematic, it is project focused, specifically GIRA project focused. Importantly all advisers will work together to provide an integrated resource to improve knowledge and build capacity in SUMERNET projects and across the network.
Integrated Regional Assessment Adviser
Emerging regional issues and concerns on groundwater insecurity are gaining momentum in the Mekong Region. However, there is more than a knowledge gap – there is a technical, policy and practice gap on the sustainable use and management of groundwater in the Mekong Region. Importantly the regional work is required to address the groundwater insecurity issues of the poor, marginalized and socially vulnerable groups of women and men in the Mekong Region.
Specifically, the GIRA adviser will guide SUMERNET GIRA study team on possible methodologies and techniques to conduct the assessment, relevant policy processes and the issues around both locally relevant insights and regionally relevant management options addressing the question ‘how can we sustainably use and manage groundwater resources while reducing water insecurity for all, especially the vulnerable groups of people, in the Mekong Region?’.
The Adviser will contribute to SUMERNET 4 All programme activities on a part-time basis an initial period of 18 months, after which extension is possible subject to the performance assessment and endorsement of the SUMERNET Steering Committee. Estimated time inputs in each year is between 20 - 30 working days. The final number of working days will be discussed during contract negotiation process.
- Review the applications for SUMERNET GIRA Expressions of Interest.
- Support on the design of GIRA including but not limited to key questions, methodologies, approaches and tools, key insights of groundwater management challenges in conducting regional assessment of groundwater and the development of policy.
- Work with Component Coordinators and the GIRA study team to ensure that the design of GIRA are in line with the problem sets designed for each Component.
- In collaboration with the Component Coordinators and other thematic advisers to design and organize training activities and mentoring support to improve and update the knowledge of GIRA study team on conceptual and methodological approaches in conducting integrated assessment on groundwater, academic writing and the synthesis of findings considering other thematic issues.
- Serve as a mentor of the GIRA team. He/she will visit the GIRA team to join the fieldwork and project events at least twice per project lifetime.
- Review and provide inputs into GIRA and policy products.
- Advise on mechanisms or entry points where GIRA findings and policy recommendations can be used to contribute to relevant national and regional strategies, policies, planning, instit.utes effectively in practice.
- Contribute to future SUMERNET calls for the grants of joint actions to explore a possibility for linking with the GIRA study.
- Formal recognition for their contribution to SUMERNET 4 All, this being acknowledged through meetings, the SUMERNET website, and relevant publications
- Co-authorship or acknowledgement (depending on the level of contribution if the contribution of GIRA Advisers is significant) in the writing of sub-national and integrated regional assessment and associated peer reviewed articles of grantees
- Direct costs (e.g. travel and accommodation) when participating in SUMERNET related events
- Professional fees where relevant for associated services
Note that this is not a full-time position with monthly salary and benefits.
SUMERNET invites highly qualified network members with relevant background and experience to apply for this position. For any interest, please submit the application documents below to the SUMERNET Secretariat.
- Cover letter highlighting the candidates’ motivation to apply to this role as Integrated Regional Assessment and specific experience related to each of all responsible tasks
- 2-3 writing samples in which the candidate is a lead author
- Daily rate (in USD) of the applicant.
All documents should be submitted online at the following link: https://sei.submittable.com/submit/141864/sumernet-4-all-call-for-expression-of-interest-on-groundwater-integrated-regional latest by 21 June 2019.
Full call for application document is available as attachment to this announcement. For further inquiries, please contact SUMERNET Programme Manager, Mr. Agus Nugroho (email@example.com).